Multi-facted IA Internship
Commitment: Part-Time paid, Hrs/month depending on availability, flexible times.
Location: New York City preferred but virtual work is a possibility.
Lis Hubert is an accomplished consultant living in NYC. She has extensive experience in website strategy, user experience and information architecture. Lis has had the opportunity to work on projects big and small, far and wide, with a number of clients ranging from fortune 500 to garage startups. Some of her “coolest” projects include concepting an iPad app for ESPN, visualizing business and experience strategies for several startups as well as partnering with the EGC group on user testing that extended to all 6 inhabited continents. She has written and talked about User Experience and Information Architecture in several countries and can’t wait to do so in several more. But, enough about Lis…
This internship is about you! In this paid internship, you will work directly with Lis learning, but more importantly DOING, activities, processes and procedures that are not only a part of the User Centered Design life cycle (with a focus on Information Architecture and User Experience), but are also a part of the business life cycle. This role will push you beyond your book knowledge of what IA is in the real world, and introduce you to IA in the real world. You’ll learn how to be a real IA professional, one that works within a flexible process and possesses skills of empathy, strategy and design. As much as you want to learn is as much as Lis will put you to work.
This position is perfect for someone who wants to sharpen their user experience, interaction design, information architecture, strategy and business skills and seeks to obtain a cohesive skillset that ranges from IA through product.
Overview of Internship
- Understand the process around proper prioritization by sequencing and defining roadmaps of features for products.
- Learn to conceptualize, define, and build high-quality products efficiently and holistically, and you’ll work with world-class clients to do so.
- Coordinate with Senior Tech Leads to plan implementation of optimizing prototypes into production.
- Define and analyzing metrics, both to assess a feature’s success and to articulate its opportunity.
- Bring the voice of beloved users to the table while marrying their needs with business needs and technology complexities to invent appropriate solutions.
- Analyze user, business and technology needs appropriately for the problems at hand, whether quantitatively or qualitatively.
- Basic familiarity of and/or high interest in learning Information Architecture principles and UCD processes as a way to create holistic user experiences.
- Flexible. Intelligent. Creative. Solution-oriented. Problem-solver. You like making things happen.
- Demonstrable track record dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering measurable results in an agile environment.
- Open-minded and encompasses an excellent attention to detail (and we mean it).
- Curious and creative. You never stop learning or asking questions.
- Analytical. Comfortable with pulling data and building models.
- Startup experience
- Experience building social or consumer products a plus.
- Experience with interactive web technologies (think HTML5).
- Experience with performance optimization techniques in mobile applications.
If this sounds like the role for you, send your resume, portfolio or examples of any related work (if available) and anything else that might help Lis know more about you to lis at elisabethhubert.com. Looking forward to hearing from you!
Further Background on Lis
Lis works with clients on many different levels ranging from Fortune 500 businesses to startups to help bring understanding that ensures their products and services meet both business and user needs, as well as are successful and enjoyable to use.
Lis also speaks across the globe providing workshops and sessions which help to educate people from all backgrounds on the value of the UX field, and help to inform them on the appropriate intersections of User Experience with their professions so that they bring their companies more value.
Before going independent, Lis worked with Weight Watchers to create and enhance their online product as well as a User Experience strategist for the United Services Automobile Association (USAA),